Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Loyal Traitors



Brad and I are both BYU football fans. We love the game, we discuss it's finer points. We discuss the players, their performance, we love Bronco, we love it all. But yet deep inside me a little voice says that I am a traitor and have no right to be a BYU fan. You see I hold a degree from USU. I have never gone to BYU. By all accounts I am an Aggie.

I have many fond memories of my time at Utah State. I love the friends I met, the classes I took. I love the campus, the beauty of Cache Valley. Never ever in my life have I been able to cheer for the USU football team. (Not even when they would actually win some of their games.) As a college student I would attend the USU/BYU football game and sit in the BYU section wearing BYU blue and pray for the Cougars to crush the Aggies. All the while trying to squash the nagging voice inside of me.

My parents raised me on Cougar football, and so I do blame part of this on them. Do I have to have gone to BYU to be a true blue fan?

So as my peeps and I sat in the pouring rain during the game on Saturday, "Rising and Shouting" with the rest of the Cougar Nation I could hear that little voice ask, "would you do this for the Aggies?" The answer is of course NO! I feel like I have paid my dues. Sweltering sun, pouring rain, I have done it all for the Cougars. I deserve to be a fan- Sorry Aggies catch you next time.

2 comments:

Jan said...

Yah, I am so excited that you have a blog now. Welcome to blog heaven. You will soon learn that it is quite addicting. I look forward to hearing about your family happenings. I haven't been so good at keeping in touch, so I am glad that I can read your blog to keep up. I'll even forgive you for being a BYU cougar fan.

Jay said...

Rachel, you don't need to feel guilty at all. As an alumnus of both schools myself I can attest that it is easier to root for the cougs than the Aggies. Here is my though. Do all Catholics attend Notre Dame? certainly not, but you can bet they all root for the Irish. BYU is the university of the LDS church and as faithful we can without shame root for the Cougars regardless of where we went to school. So, keep the faith and cheer on!