Friday, August 6, 2010

A Super Fan


I have written one fan letter in my life. To Beverly Cleary. Yep, the author of the the Ramona books (and many others.) I think I was 9 years old at the time. Not only did I tell her how much I loved her books, but I gave her what I thought were some great suggestions on possible Ramona plots. (How generous of me, I know.) Ms. Cleary kindly wrote back thanking me for my letter. And that postcard pretty much thrilled me for the next year.

I have loved books since I learned how to read them, with the Ramona books at the top of my list. When I was in elementary school I came to think of Ramona Quimby as a dear friend. I had some of her same fears, laughed at the crazy antics, I loved it all.

Fast forward to the present day. I am now reading Ramona Forever to my peeps. Peep 1 seems to enjoy it as much as I do, er, did.

So the other day I took them to see the movie, Ramona and Beezus. We loved it, the girls and I laughed out loud, and got tears in our eyes. Although I did think that Beezus was too glamorous in the movie, I will not get hung up on it.

Bottom line, it was fun to see something I had loved so much become something special to my little Ramonas.

3 comments:

Jessica said...

That is is so fun! I'm glad you can share that together.

estinger said...

That is SO FUNNY! Annie and I just finished Ramona the Pest and we just started on Beezus and Ramona (out of order, opps, I know). Annie keeps saying "Mom, we have to hurry and finish it so we can go see the movie". Good books really are timeless!!!

Valerie said...

I'm just going to let go the fact that those girls (Beezus especially) aren't right AT ALL, and be glad you had a great time.

Also, I just wrote a fan letter myself. To Suzanne Collins (author of the Hunger Games series). I gave it to her tonight, when I got the third book. She said she would read it.

FAN LETTER: ACCOMPLISHED.