Sunday, February 1, 2009

Go Figure

Soooooo, even though this particular event happened at Christmastime I still think it is worth blogging about.

Admittedly I don't like to spend a lot of time and effort when it comes to making dinner. Although when I have to take a dish somewhere I do really try. Alas, my success is limited, but I can do a few complicated dishes with fairly positive feedback. I was pretty busy the day of our ward party, and didn't know I was supposed to bring a side dish until an hour before we needed to go. So I pulled out a box of Betty Crocker Au Gratin Potatoes, added the butter and water, and threw the thing in the oven. Then I proceeded to forget about the whole thing, and burned it a tiny bit. Time was of the essence so I took my burned, from a box potatoes to the party, and set the dish down as quickly as I could so no one could match the dish to me.

When we went through the serving line, I noticed that there was one dish of potatoes completely gone, yep my burned Betty's were now resting in tummies of ward members. How did this happen? I am never going to spend any time on food again. Everyone is getting box mixes. It's what the people want.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Go Betty! That's a funny one ... I am firmly in the "whatever works" camp so yay for that!

Jessica said...

You can't argue with the people! Well, you can, but it is ill advised.

Riddle Girl said...

Good to know I was not the only one who used a box! If it's good enough for my family's Sunday Dinner, it's good enough for the Ward Family!

Candice Carter said...

Too funny.... I'm always surprised on what is a hit at ward parties!

Jay said...

Or maybe the rest of the sisters, assuming the husbands did not make side dishes, are all even more cullinarily challenged than you claim to be. I have seen dishes at ward potlucks that, well lets just say did not appear to be fit for human consumption. I think the term potluck must have been invented by Mormons, because most of the time if you get anything decent to eat at a ward potluck you are indeed very lucky.