Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Ding Dong Ditch


Oh the holidays. The hustle, the bustle, the shopping, the wrapping, the decorating, the snow, and oh yes the neighborhood treats. The goodies for the neighbors is going to be the thing that does me in. It started so innocently with good intentions and wanting to show appreciation to the great people we live around. Then it got out of control. Neighborhood treats in this subdivision is like trick-or-treating in reverse. I guess there is some day that everyone (except me) knows as "goody dispensing day." Last year our doorbell was ringing off the hook. The plates laden with all kinds homemade delectables kept piling up on our doorstep.

It was my first year in the neighborhood, and I didn't know how things worked. Complete strangers from several streets over were dropping off their offerings of chocolaty yumminess. We were touched and overwhelmed. I was scrambling madly to give treats to all the neighborhood. Plus there is the added pressure to not only give to everyone but to give something delicious and memorable.

I don't remember anything anyone left us last year, except I do remember the things for our Bishop mistakenly delivered to us.

This year is going to be different. I have my list, I have packaged and delivered half of my very easy-to-make treats, and will finish up this weekend. Bring it on neighborhood I am ready! And this year we are keeping all treats delivered to our house by mistake. Sorry Bishop.

6 comments:

Carolyn said...

I hate to say it, but I think your neighborhood is going overboard. But hey, can you really complain about living somewhere where people are so nice to each other? In our last neighborhood the only thing most of our neighbors felt free to share was their second-hand smoke. And some of the kids there liked to steal any toys we left outside.

Rachel said...

Yes, I would agree it is way out of control. But true better overly nice then the opposite.

holly said...

I laughed so hard when I read this. So fun.
FYI--my sister lives in Springville, and their neighborhood did the same thing, until they decided to pool their money used for treats and be a secret Santa to someone in need that year. I thought it was a good idea.

Kerri said...

Wow, I can't believe that complete strangers even show up! That is pretty cool, but I can understand how you are overwhelmed.

Jan said...

I am not a big fan of getting a million plates of goodies at x-mas. It would mostly go to waste at my house, thankfully we don't get a lot around here. I like the idea of pooling the money together to give someone in need a good x-mas.

Meredith & Company said...

Hey Rachel--my new blogger buddy! I just remembered your address from last night, so I'm going to add you to my links!

And, by the way, the whole neighborhood treat thing is completely out of control in this neighborhood. We should put a stop to this madness before I gain 15 more pounds (like last year!)!